If we’re just getting to know each other, there’s something you need to know about me. After I tell you this – we’re officially friends. (Friends, guaranteed you already know this about me)
The 4th of July is my favorite day of the year. My family has always celebrated it, wearing flag shirts all four days of our small county fair that is two blocks away from the house I grew up in. Now that I’m an adult, it’s even more fun – because margaritas are involved.
It’s small town USA at it’s finest – a parade down main street, hanging by the pool, BBQ, county fair, and fireworks. With good people, good food, and several of my homemade margs, it’s such a wonderful day. I seriously fantasize about it in January, but keep it to myself so folks don’t think I’m crazy.
Today marks six months since I “retired” and started this new life. It’s amazing to think of all that’s happened since then – I became certified to teach yoga, read over 20 books, and launched a new business, not to mention watched a lot of TV and had a lot of fun.
What’s more important is that how I live my life has changed. I’m less stressed, happier, and more connected to myself than I ever have been before. I wouldn’t trade where I’m at now for anything.
Since my favorite day is the commemoration of the Declaration of Independence, it feels like the perfect time to write my own and declare to myself all the things I want to leave behind from my old life as I continue forging my own path. With enough distance from my former life – and having made it through a few struggles in my new one – I know what I want to leave behind and what I want to take with me.
I’m not going to lie, I feel a little exposed sharing this with the world, but I hope it’s inspiring to you. What do you want to declare independence from? The first step is saying to aloud to yourself.
This is my declaration of independence. (tweet it)
Want to sign my declaration of independence? Sign it by sharing it:
- Post it to your Facebook page and add any “amendments” (I know, I’m mixing historical documents, but I’m free from worrying about what you think) – you can use the share buttons below.
- Think it’s pretty? Pin it.
- Tweet out your favorite declaration:
- Today I declare independence from holding myself back because I think I’m not good enough.
- I am free from preconceived notions of success, work, and life. I define & determine my success.
- Today I declare independence from expectations of the future.
- Today I declare independence from thinking there’s a wrong and there’s a right… about anything.
- Today I declare independence from analysis paralysis.
- Today I declare independence from sentences with the word should.
- Today I declare independence from believing that Perfect = Good. Good = Good & Done = Perfect.
- Today I declare independence from hiding my vulnerability.
- Today I declare independence from opacity. I choose transparency.
- Today I declare independence from looking for completion outside myself – I’ve got all I need.
Happy 4th of July – I hope you have a fantastic holiday. Keep an eye on my Instagram for pics from my small town celebration. I’m in the parade this year with my family!